Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Grass is Green


One lesson I have to continually re-learn:  The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Jason and I always dream about going on a romantic trip together, just the two of us.  No kids around.  Just cozy time for us. 

Then we look at each other and say, "Who are we kidding?"  We'll be sitting around someday when we're old and alone, when we finally are free, just the two of us, and miss our kids so much.  And we'll miss these days of having the little kids around.  We'll reminisce and choke back the tears of nostalgia remembering our little ones when they were home and so close to us. 

When they loved us and wanted to be around us 24 hours a day. 
When they all smush their faces against the front window, watching for Jason to get home from work.
When Christiana cries for me to sit next to her bed before falling asleep.
When Jimmy begs Dad to take him on a hike.
When Jacob gets to hit a bucket of balls with his dad and the excitement that comes with that.
When Christie says, "Sit by me, mom," as I prepare our lunch for just the two of us.
When she crawls under the blanket with me and wants me to read to her another book.
When they're excited to go to a museum.
When they say their prayers and we're trying to hold back the giggles.
...and so many more.

The grass is green now.  Isn't it funny how life works out that way?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Such a sweet post. Great perspective. Ty & I have been fortunate to go on quite a few getaways but you know - as much I enjoy it I really miss the kids more. I am ok with one trip a year. Ty tries to get away with more, but it just causes me anxiety!! Lol.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you recognise all that now. But you know being alone and missing the kids and grandkids makes it exciting to go to visit and have them visit and we still can have our fun trips, alone, too! It's the best of the best!