"I did good on my test today."
"I don't feel good. I need to lie down."
"How are you today?" "I'm good."
These are just a few examples of incorrect grammar that I am constantly noticing and silently changing in my mind to "well" instead of "good." When my children use grammar incorrectly, I remind them. I'm kind of obsessive about it and really annoying to my family, I'm certain, with the way I constantly correct everybody. I can't help myself. Of course, I am imperfect (totally!) and make grammatical errors probably all the time. But once in a while, these things just jump out at me and, funny enough, I even get UPSET with people about it. Like my whole day is wrecked because someone was just flat wrong. Ha ha! Harsh!
Anyway, the point of this post is Ether 4:11-13.
We read these verses this morning and I was all in a panic because Christ says, "...for good cometh of none save it be of me. I am the same that leadeth men to all good."
For a second there I was thinking that all would be well with us if we follow Christ. But that is not the case. That's not what He's saying. He's saying, "For because of my Spirit he shall know that these things are true; for it persuadeth men to do good."
If we believe in Christ, if we are Christians, if we believe His Gospel is true, then we will do good. "Do" being the operative word here. Not that our lives will be perfect. We will not necessarily just sit in our beautiful houses with everything we need; no troubles, no displeasures, no trials, no devastating losses. The Gospel isn't about sitting there and basking in the glory of being saved. This Gospel is about DOING GOOD, not BEING WELL.
I know I'm reaching here, but with all my obsessive grammar bossy-ness, I noticed that Christ is saying exactly the correct thing and Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon perfectly, without error.
"And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me."
These are phrases of action. These are not phrases of well-being. We will experience many things in this life that are difficult. We will experience many things in the life that are marvelous and joyous! The point is to do good, be believing, and trust, and have faith, and serve, and love, and pray, and work, and live. Action words!
I am so thankful for this tiny insight I received this morning. I love this stuff.
Have a "GOOD" day!
No comments:
Post a Comment