Monday, June 3, 2013

Air

I prepared my lesson to teach the young women in my ward yesterday on the priesthood; what it is and its value to them, and to their lives.

I wanted to stress to them the absolute and utter importance of making sure they marry a man who honors his priesthood, who wants to take her to the temple, who wants to exercise not only the authority of the priesthood but, more importantly, the power of the priesthood in his family.  (There is a difference between authority and power!)

And then the thought came to me that the priesthood is like air.  Neither the Church nor any of us would survive very long without the priesthood.  It's like the air we breathe.  I confessed to the girls that growing up in a home where my dad honored his priesthood covenants and then marrying a good man who does the same has meant that I have taken this gift for granted on many occasions.  Just as I do being able to breathe. 

I never stop and say to myself, "Thank you, air, for being there.  Thank you, air, for keeping me alive.  Thank you, air, for sustaining life in all things!"

I know it sounds a bit juvenile and elementary, but this is how I feel about the priesthood and the blessings it provides in my life.  I certainly take it for granted; this marvelous gift, this blessing most treasured above all else -- and it's right here in my home.  I have had access to it 24 hours a day since I was in my mother's womb!  And thankfully, the priesthood is eternal, which means I will benefit from it forever.

I hope the young women understood my point.  I was grateful that the "Air" analogy popped into my head at just the right time. 

The church is true, ya'll.

1 comment:

PixieGirl said...

I love this...am teaching 15 year olds in sunday school and this will be a perfect analogy. Would be better if you came and guest taught...wanna catch a quick flight to UT?