Friday, February 17, 2012

Fantastic Irony

Jacob was awarded today in our elementary school's Knighting Program for his excellence in serving others.
Kind of a fantastic irony from a couple days ago when I was feeling so sad about his non-Valentines Valentine's Day.
Jason lovingly reminded me that it's come full circle now that he's received this nice award; that it's far better to be recognized for service than it is to receive the most Valentine's.



This is what was read aloud by the principal during the ceremony:

Jacob Blaser is being knighted today for the core virture of service.  Jacob is always eager to help others by being a good friend, lending a listening ear, and helping with difficult tasks.  When there is a task at hand, he can be counted on to get the job done correctly and with a smile.  Jacob is a perfect example of what it means to show service to those around you.


I am so grateful to Jacob for the young man he's becoming.  I'm not a braggy mom too much about my kids.  And I'm not all gushy for ceremonies like this because I always think about the other kids in the audience who are just as bright and wonderful and who may not get recognized, and how that might make them feel bad.  It's kind of like wearing a badge that says, "Wow! I'm awesome, aren't I?  Oh, and I'm so humble, too."  So it's not really my thing.  But I am glad Jacob can feel good about himself and be awarded this nice medallion.

This is the second year in a row he's been recognized for "Service."  So he's on the right track!



3 comments:

Barlow Fam said...

What a great kid. It is a much better reward!

Christy said...

He is such a stud! And I love that picture of the three of you. So precious.

R Family said...

Hi there! I was thinking about you and your cute family today. Your boys are getting to be so big. Way to go Jacob. He is such a great kid. Hope all is well with you guys in good ol' Texas.
Love, your favorite Utah friend...ha ha