Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What's a Mom To Do?



For 25 cents, you can buy a Hershey Kiss valentine for anybody at school and then on Valentine's Day, they get delivered to the various classrooms.  It's a fundraiser, but it's also a fun way to send a little "kiss" to a friend or a teacher.

Jacob wrote out his list of valentines way ahead of time:  who he was going to send one to and what he was going to write on each one.

He got his money ready.  He had his list ready.

Valentine's Day comes and goes.  Jacob gets off the bus after school and tells me he didn't receive one valentine from anybody.  He sent out about ten. 

It wouldn't be so heartbreaking for me if he hadn't taken so much time and made such an effort to make sure he didn't leave any of his "friends" out.  Oh, my heart aches.

I'm glad I decided to go to the school one morning and purchase three Kiss Valentine's for each of my boys:  One from me, one from Jason, and one from Christiana.  So Jacob did receive those three.

Jacob even sent a valentine to Jimmy.  But Jimmy didn't return the favor with his money.  I think that was unintentional because Jimmy did say today that he did send one, but the lady writing down the names misheard him and wrote a different boy's name down instead.

Whatever.  I cried inside.  Big tears inside.  Aching chest.

Jacob did receive lots of "regular" valentines from his classmates during their party but he was feeling pretty badly about not receiving any Kiss Valentine's.

Can we just ignore this holiday?  It just makes a kid and a mom feel lousy.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my, this makes me feel lousy too. Hate watching kids go through these sort of things :(

Barlow Fam said...

Oh how my heart aches. That's the worst story every. Yes, be gone Valentine's Day!

Whitney said...

Oh that makes my heart hurt. Poor sweet boy! He has such a big loving heart.

Elise said...

I think it's pretty amazing that he is so thoughtful of other people. So many of us are insensitive to other people and it sounds like he will always be aware.

Grace spent a dollar on a candy-gram for a friend. She didn't get any in return either. It bothered me but not her.

Being a mom is so emotionally painful sometimes. I'm so sorry.

Sheri said...

ugh...I remember doing those in HS and that was painful enough but elementary school? UGH! But you should be a proud mom at what a thoughtful, cute boy you have!

PixieGirl said...

Ouch, there isn't a bandaid big enough for that one!

Lo-train said...

I don't know why all of the sudden your posts aren't showing up on my blog.... So I was just catching up and this one stung a little. Kids are rotten, I hate popularity contests, that's all it is. I love that he was recognized later for all his service. What a sweetheart! I am not looking forward to my girls going to school, I will be one of those moms who will go to school the next day and punch all the other kids in the faces. Cora will be so embarrassed.

Also that first picture of Clair in the military looks SO much like Jason. How darling. Two wonderful men passed away recently and we are all better people for being related to them.

It was fun to see you in SG for approximately two seconds. Love you.