Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Four Things I Learned at Costco

1.  I find it ironic that the bread is located right next to the wine.  There's got to be some Biblical reference there; right?

2.  A little girl got lost from her mother's side for just a moment.  I said, "Hold my hand.  Let's go find your mommy."  A few seconds later, her mom popped around the corner and they were reunited with love and joy.  So glad I got to give comfort to a worried little girl.  And even more glad I got to see the reunion.  Panic and fear turned to delight and excitement in a matter of seconds all because she saw her mommy's face and heard her voice.

3.  I saw an elderly man walking out of Costco with one of those humongous five-foot-tall teddy bears, undoubtedly purchased for a grandchild.  He was walking in such a way as to not be noticed, as to indicate that he wanted to get out of there as fast as he could without seeing anybody he knew.  His masculinity was in question.  Step away, people.  I laughed to myself.  And then I thought about that happy child receiving such an enormous teddy bear and I thought, "That is the greatest grandpa in the world.  He's probably going to make some kid's entire life."

4.  At the hot dog stand, Christie and I were sitting eating our lunch and a mom and her little boy were filling up their drinks.  The boy was about 4 and he said, "Mom, this time I want to say the prayer.  Can I say the prayer?"  The mom assured him that he would be able to say the prayer.  A few minutes later, I saw them with their heads bowed and their arms folded and their eyes closed praying together before they ate lunch.  I thought to myself, "They are better Christians than I am!"  I never pray in public over lunch ... and at Costco, no less.  But they weren't ashamed to pray and I was thankful for their example.  I need to be more like them.

It's the little things in life that give us meaning and teach us!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Awesome post!!! So much excitement at your Costco!!!

PixieGirl said...

It takes a very aware individual to notice all of that in a crazy warehouse...thanks for sharing:) You are such a dear!

Sarah said...

What a happy time at Costco! Seriously. I've thought a lot about your thoughts in #4 & that's why I wrote on the Mormon page for Easter. I see so many Christians declaring their faith boldly & I know I don't always do that yet I believe so strongly. I've tried harder to change this & be more bold in my beliefs. Thanks for pointing this one out!