I was reading in the Book of Mormon today (I know, I'm so righteous; right?) Reading Mosiah 14 and it's Abinadi counseling King Noah and his "priests." I was struck by and always find it interesting that ancient prophets as well as modern-day prophets recite the Ten commandments so often. It's nothing new! The gospel is so beautiful in its simplicity. Prophets testify of Christ. They remind us of God's commandments. They plead for us to be obedient to His commandments and the covenants we make. Done. That's it. So simple, really.
It seems that we, as members of the Church and as a society as a whole, tend to over-complicate things. We lose sight on what it really means to live the gospel. I'm grateful for Abinadi -- and all the prophets since him, really -- for bringing me back to the basics, cutting out all the fluff, all the chaos, all the monotony, and just reminding me of simple and basic gospel truths. It is these truths that really are at the center of Christ's gospel.
We push God and/or Christ out of our lives and we will not have His protection. We kill unborn babies and yet are terrified and angry that children are killed in a kindergarten classroom. This world and our country are so backward. We care very little about basic, fundamental values, about the Ten Commandments, about religion, morality, manners, decency, suffering, and the principles our Founding Fathers wrote the Constitution on and yet we expect God's protection. Not going to happen.
I don't want our schools to become locked-up prisons where I have to be "buzzed in" anytime I want to see my kid. I don't want gun control. I don't want to lie awake at night, unable to sleep because I'm so afraid all the time of what might happen to my family.
President Monson taught that fear and faith cannot co-exist at the same time. We'll either be living by one mindset or the other. I have to choose faith. Have to!
What I want is a peeling back of all the madness and a return to basic human principles of loving one another, of teaching our children the Ten Commandments in the home and at school. If every person on Earth showed genuine love and concern for their neighbor, think about the difference that would make. If parents loved each other, stayed married no matter what, even for the sake of their children, what an impact that would have on a child's life. I think everything good or bad that happens in your life funnels back down to the family and the relationships we have within our families. What's that saying? "Whatever happens in between, we begin and end with family." Something like that. It's so true. Those relationships are what count.
I was talking to my sister Amy today and we agreed that bad things may, could, and will happen! I know. Earth-shattering observance; right? But it's true. Any one of us could lose a child in some tragic way. We may/could/will experience trials, disappointments, unspeakable grief, terror, mind-blowing sadness.
And everything will be all right. If we are covenant-keeping and obedient, we will be okay. Our children will be okay if they die. My brother reminded me that this life is a life of sorrow so long as we are in the flesh. And he is absolutely right. This life is a moment. We've been asked to keep the commandments, to be believing, to endure to the end, to be humble, grateful, and to serve others. Our family relationships are eternal. So is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Whether we believe it all or reject it all, it's still true.
Sorry for the mega-long humongous essay. Had to vent.
2 comments:
I read a good something somewhere (probably facebook link) that talked about good vs. evil. It has existed since the beginning of time when Cain killed Able. I think we do have issues in our society - I am not denying that - but there has always been evil in this world & there always will be. We just need to keep shining our light & do our best to raise responsible kids to keep trying to make this world a better place.
I, too, choose faith over fear!
Post a Comment