Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Scouts!


Tonight I took the boys (and Christie) to the broadcast put together by the Church to celebrate 100 years of the Boy Scouts of America's partnership with the Church.  100 years!  It was such a beautiful production.  I was moved to tears!  Which is kind of not that hard.  I'm a cryer.  Jason is out of town this week so normally he would do the honors but I am so glad I got to go and see it.  It was glorious!

Tonight, while making dinner, Jacob was in the kitchen with me and I was talking to him about earning his Eagle Scout award and that it's never too early to begin thinking about a project.  He said he already knows what he wants to do.  I said, "Really?  What?"  He said he wants to build a treehouse for disabled kids.

I just about dropped my spoon in the spaghetti sauce I was stirring.  I was so humbled and proud -- ALREADY! -- by Jacob's selflessness and thoughtfulness to help others, especially kids that don't ever get the chance to climb trees and/or have a treehouse to play in.  And it makes perfect sense.  There are no treehouses for disabled kids!

I got all teary-eyed thinking about it and I told Jacob to stick with it and keep working toward that goal.  Don't give up.  He proceeded to tell me exactly how it would be built, the design of it.  I was so touched and happy to hear him speak of his Eagle project.

I hope and pray he sticks with scouting.  And Jimmy too.  It is AWESOME.  Every bit of it.

I remember when my boys were young.  I had the attitude that scouting was something I was just not ever going to touch or do.  That's for dads.  Scouting is totally not something I ever want to deal with.  I was Grumpy Gills about it.  And now that I have boys in scouts and having served in scouts, I'm hooked!!  (Sorry for the Finding Nemo reference.  We've been watching it a lot lately.  We go through phases with Disney movies.)

Anyway, I'm so glad I changed my attitude about scouting.  It has made all the difference in my life with these cute boys of mine.

No comments: