Thursday, October 17, 2013

Wedding

My sister, Kelley, sent these pictures that were taken at Matthew's (her son's) wedding to his beautiful bride, Molly, this past July.  
 

 This cute little girl, Ellie Joan, I was photographing belongs to my niece, Lorraine.

 My two sisters and me.  Janna and Kelley.  We were missing one more sister, Amy.  :(

And this picture I love the most.  My sister's extended family is so lovely and supportive, as you can tell!  The Tenneys always represent!  The Barlows????  Not so much.  Ha ha ha ha.  Oh well.  It was a GORGEOUS wedding and such a fun memory for me.  I loved every second of it.  I love that my mom and I are holding hands.

Before the sealing, Kelley, me, and my parents ate lunch at Pei Wei in Sandy.  Well, we were enjoying ourselves a little too much and left the restaurant a little too late.  So we drove as quickly as we could to the Salt Lake Temple and realized upon arrival that there were also forty-thousand-or-so people also arriving for weddings.  So parking was a total nightmare.  Kelley (the mother-of-the-groom) was under extreme duress.  And that is an understatement.  Basically, she was freaking out and I was starting to freak out, too.  We were in some underground parking garage in a total standstill, gridlock, no movement.  I told Kelley to jump out and run inside and I would drive around and find parking.  She could not be late, of all people!!!  If I missed the sealing, fine.  But she couldn't miss it.  Of course, hindsight being what it is, I'm pretty sure they would not have started the wedding without her!  I mean, come on now.

She hung in there and we luckily found a spot.  Seriously, it was a small miracle.  We don't even know how this empty spot opened up.  But we parked, removed our shoes and RAN from the parking garage, across North Temple at top speed and through the gates of Temple Square and into the temple.  We arrived later than we were supposed to have arrived and we were sweating and trying to calm our panicked hearts and get into the calmness and serenity that is required in the temple.  Ha!

This story is only part of other added stresses that I had to help Kelley limp through during my 24 hours there.  The night before the wedding, she and Trent hosted a wedding dinner at a restaurant in Gardner Village (can't remember the name of it now.)  Well, the dinner started at 6:00 so we left Lehi around 4:30 to pick up the flowers for the centerpieces and then drive up to Gardner Village.  Plenty of time.  Ha!  There was an accident on I-15 and we sat and sat and inched and inched for about an hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic.  We were trying so hard to remain calm but as the time ticked by we were starting to lose our minds.

We exited 7200 South.  The car accident was AT 7200 SOUTH.  So the highway patrol was not allowing anyone to exit.  Kelley was just about in tears at this point.  Somehow, luckily, magically, shockingly, they opened the exit right as we approached.  The accident was pretty much in its end phase so the officers opened the exit and we zoomed off the freeway.  We frantically got to the restaurant and organized all the centerpieces and things required for a beautiful ambience at the speed of light.  People began arriving so on time!  We were just barely finished as the first family members began walking in. 

Luckily, because of our misfortune, we were able to text and warn family members of the accident so they found alternate routes and arrived on time.  But not us!  We were hustlin'!

As I write this now, I am laughing because it is just so typical for stressful situations like this to occur when stress is the last thing on Earth you need!  Murphy's law; right?  Anyway, Kelley and I decided that we bonded those 24 hours that we were together because we had to endure so much hardship!  Ha ha! 

One of my favorite memories of the weekend is driving back to Lehi after Matthew's sealing and, once again, driving a hundred miles an hour.  The reception was at 6:00, and the sealing had occured at 3:30-ish, I believe.  So we would be getting back to Lehi with just enough time to pee and then run out the door again to Thanksgiving Point in Lehi.  So Kelley exits the freeway at Bangerter, I believe, because there's a McDonald's right there.  She is driving like a maniac crazy-person.  She swoops into the drive-thru and orders herself the largest Diet Coke imaginable and then whips back onto the freeway headed South!  Ha ha ha ha.

Oh, I am laughing! 

So glad I wrote all this down so 30 years from now I can read this and remember and laugh again. 

P.S.  I told Kelley when the twins get married, to leave herself at least TWO HOURS to get anywhere in the Salt Lake Valley.  No matter what!  I also reminded her that from her house to the Salt Lake Temple, we are passing FOUR temples!  Ha ha ha!  (Timpanogos, Draper, Oquirrh, and Jordan River!)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I am totally LOLing!! Oh the stress. My heart is also racing because I can just imagine how you guys were freaking out!! Glad you wrote that down. And you could you be any more beautiful?!?!? Hello, model!

Sheri said...

I was there for a wedding that same day and you are right it was total parking chaos. I would've been dying if I had mother of the groom in my car. Way to go finding a parking spot.